Proper keyword research and their precise usage are absolutely critical to the entire process of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Without paying necessary attention to this aspect, efforts to boost your site’s search rank in the major engines may be hampered. You must realize the fact that however well designed and attractive a website may be, users won’t notice it in the first place if the choice of key terms and phrases is wrong. This will result in poor rankings.
The process of keyword selection involves several small, albeit crucial aspects. Let us review them in brief:
- Keyword usage pattern: When they use search engines, users instinctively rely on certain domain specific words in order to locate the information as well as access suitable products/ services. The pattern of keyword usage needs to be minutely studied to make an informed decision.
- Brainstorming and discussions: Before relevant keywords are finalized, an internal discussion should happen. A brainstorming session involving the content and programming teams will give an understanding of what your visitors/ potential customers would be most likely to type in for their search activity regarding your business or industry.
- Permutations and combinations: Different permutations and combinations of all key terms and phrases (including wrongly spelt words, alternate spellings, synonyms, wordings etc) should ideally be considered to ensure that your business site figures in the top search results.
- Generic and specific keywords: An elaborate keyword list will give you a fair idea of the most likely traffic drivers through search engines. It should be comprised of as many different possible words and phrases – both generic and specific.
- Data from research tools: There are several tools online available, such as Wordtracker and Overture that provide you with the necessary inputs on the number of times a set of users have carried out information based or random searches. Employing these tools can give the most foolproof and dependable data about peculiar trends in keyword selection and usage.
- Analysis of key terms: The next obvious step is to generate a matrix or chart, which will clearly analyze the terms that you feel are valuable and result-oriented. Compare traffic flow, their relevancy and the likelihood of conversion rates for them, if possible, individually. This will let you grasp their effectiveness. You can then arrive at the best possible list of the most powerful terms to target.
A thorough research activity based on practical knowledge and domain-specific research can help deliver an excellent conversion rate, to boost the site’s online visibility and ultimately, the sales.